Dean Composite Clerestory Dining Saloon. Built 1903, Diagram H7, Lot 1011.
One of 4 H7 diagram coaches built, under two lots, with a centre galley with 1st class dining one end and 2nd/3rd mixed the other. Of the 4 built two ran on South Wales expresses and the others on West of Englands. This was the first GWR design to feature a centrally placed kitchen.
9520 was originally numbered 1578. It was sold off by the GWR in the 1930s and ended its days as a cobbler's shop in Newbury. Heavily stripped internally, little remains apart from some wall panelling in the First Class end.
Only the body has been preserved - the underframe is not original but belonged to 3655 Churchward third, built 1921.
There are no plans to restore this vehicle at present.