Travelling to Didcot
The Railway Centre is signposted from the M4 (junction 13) and the A34, follow the white on brown signs to Didcot Railway Centre. It can also be reached via the A34 from the M40.
There is ample car parking at the main station car park for Didcot Parkway station. The car park does not have a postcode so we do not recommend relying on a satnav once you reach the town of Didcot. Please follow the signs to Didcot Railway Centre or station car park. Alternatively, we recommend using What3Words to find us. The road leading to the car park entrance can be located at www.what3words.com/turkey.newlywed.audio - see the What3Words website for more details of their service and to download the app.
For further information and for details of travelling by train or bus please see the How To Find Us section of our website.
Buggies & Pushchairs
Foldable buggies and pushchairs can be conveyed on the trains but will need to be completely collapsed in order to fit in the compartment in which you travel. The compartment carriages we are using to keep everyone safe do not have luggage areas so it is not possible to accommodate buggies or pushchairs that do not fold. The train rides included within your Steam Into Christmas experience minimise the distances you will need to walk on site.
We warmly welcome all visitors with physical, sensory and learning disabilities and our staff will do all they can to ensure that your visit is both comfortable and enjoyable. Visitors should however be aware that the only access to the site is via the original steam age subway and an unavoidable flight of 18 steps.
Visitors with limited mobility and wheelchair users should, if you have not already done so, consult our Accessibility Page.
To open safely, we have limited visitor numbers and tickets need to be booked in advance. We have a 21-acre open site so there will be plenty of room for the number of visitors we admit.
- If you have had contact with anyone infected with the virus or feel unwell, please don’t travel, contact us and we will change your booking without charge.
- Please arrive at the time you have booked – your Steam Into Christmas experience will take 1½ - 2 hours but you are welcome to stay longer, until we close at 4.00pm.
- Please have your original e-ticket ready to show staff. Please also bring your membership card if you’re a member.
- On arrival at Didcot Parkway Station, please show your ticket to GWR staff who will then let you through the barrier. Please note: face coverings are required in GWR's Didcot Parkway Station. Walk through the subway and straight ahead into the original steam age subway that leads to the Centre – please walk on the right and should you meet anyone in the subway, keep walking but stay as far apart as possible.
- Head up the stairs to the Railway Centre entrance
- On arrival, please use the hand sanitiser provided, then show your tickets and collect a Site Guide detailing the outdoor attractions and the spacious, well-ventilated buildings that we are able to open safely
- Further hand sanitiser dispensers are located near the entrance and at key points throughout the Centre.
- We will ensure social distancing for steam train rides, please observe the signs and wait for our staff to invite you to board as groups will board one at a time.
- Sadly, we're not able to open everything at once. Some facilities aren't open, such as our Science of Railways Carriages, Air Raid Shelter and Signalling Centre
- Our Refreshment Rooms will be serving the seasonal refreshments included in your ticket. We recommend you collect these from the Refreshment Rooms and take them with you as you explore the Engine Shed. To operate safely, we are only able to offer a very limited take-away menu in addition to the seasonal refreshments. There are handwashing facilities as you enter the Refreshment Rooms
- There are outdoor picnic tables and benches around the Centre which you are welcome to use should the weather permit. Unfortunately Covid-19 guidelines mean we are unable to provide an indoor seating area.
- Contactless payments are accepted in the Refreshment Rooms and gift shop.
- Toilets are available. These facilities are necessarily indoors in relatively confined areas – please pay extra attention to social distancing when entering or leaving these buildings, follow the directions provided on the signage and wash your hands using soap and water before leaving the facilities.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning in the toilets and other key areas – should you have any concerns, please advise a member of staff.
- The gift shop and Museum will be open for limited hours and access will be controlled, please follow the directions on signs and from our stewards.
- Please follow social distancing and government guidance when you visit. There is sufficient space on site to remain 2m apart from other groups.
- Current Government guidance requires face coverings to be worn in the Gift Shop, Refreshment Rooms and Museum. Elsewhere on site, we have made arrangements to make social distancing as practical as possible and, as an outdoor heritage venue, face coverings are not mandatory in other areas. We will not be issuing them to visitors, however you may wish to bring and wear your own, especially if you wish to visit the Gift Shop, Refreshment Rooms and Museum. As mentioned, to reach our entrance you pass through GWR's Didcot Parkway Station where face coverings are needed.
- Children must be supervised at all times and accompanying adults must ensure that children observe social distancing and other necessary measures.
- Dogs, except assistance dogs, are not permitted at the Steam Into Christmas event.